|Theme Song||Till Victory - Patti Smith|
Michael grew up in Long Island, New York and began playing table tennis at the age of 2. He started taking lessons with a professional coach at age 9 and never looked back. He made his first US National Team at age 13, won the Men’s Singles Title at the US National Championship at age 15 (youngest male in history), and placed first in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials at age 17 (a grueling 3-day round robin tournament consisting of the top 12 players in the country). There was a documentary featured on Netflix called Topspin that was made about his journey.
Michael also spent a good amount of time learning from some of the best coaches around the world while living in California, Germany and China. While he is certainly proud of his accomplishments in the sport as a player, he takes far more pride in the care and attention he devotes to his students regardless of their level or aspirations in the sport. He truly loves the game and greatly enjoy sharing what he has learned with others.
- 2009 – US Men’s Singles National Champion (youngest male ever at age 15)
- 2008-2012 – Member of the US Cadet, Junior, and Men’s National Team from
- 2010, 2011, 2012 – Represented the United States in 3 World Championships
- 2012 – US Olympic Trials Winner
Highest Rating: 2635
Current Rating: 2568′
- Featured as a sponsored athlete in 2012 on over 2 million Kellogg’s cereal boxes across the United State
- Featured on Netflix in the award-winning documentary TopSpin
- Performed as a soloist (playing ping pong) with the New York Philharmonic in 2018 to Andy Akiho’s classical, contemporary music composition called “Richochet”
When and why did you start playing ping pong?
It was what my father and I enjoyed doing most together growing up!
What has ping pong taught you the most?
True mastery of any craft takes years of quality practice. I learn something new almost every time I step on the table.
What do you love most about ping pong?
The fast-paced, nonstop action of the sport and the way it can connect people together and form life-lasting memories and bonds.